Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:54:37 -0500
From:      "Scott Ullrich" <sullrich@gmail.com>
To:        "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, david_5073@yahoo.com, Marcello Barreto <marcello@linconet.com.br>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF + ALTQ - Bandwidth per customer

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You should consider a commercial product rather than relying on
>> old and somewhat unreliable technology. We've been able to squeeze a
>> lot more customers onto our network for a $3500. investment. It paid for
>> itself in 2 months. We have a dual-core 2.33Ghz system passing 95Mb/s
>> with 12000 rules in place and it runs at about 10%. The latest version is
>> truly amazing.
>
> So I would like to hear some ideas on how we could use FreeBSD or any other BSD
> to limit bandwidth per customer( say one customer (with root access)
> per server )
>
> I attended BSDCan 2008 in Canada this may, and I asked a few of the
> pfsense devlopers this exact question
> it was meet with limited feedback.

There was not much to report at that point.   However, pfSense 2.0 has
per user bandwidth ported from DragonFlyBSD.  If you would like to
test the patch, it is located here:
http://cvs.pfsense.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/tools/patches/RELENG_7_1/fairq.RELENG_7.diff?rev=1.3;content-type=text%2Fplain

Scott