Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
To:        davep@meduseld.net
Cc:        mike@vee.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bootstrap loader + USB keyboard no-worky

On 11 Jul, David A. Panariti wrote:

> Check your BIOS.
> Mine (Award on an old Soyo 6BA+IV) has an option to enable support for
> USB keyboards.
> Works great with BootMagic and the FreeBSD bootldr.

My GigaByte GA-7DX+ also has this option and the loader sees my USB
keyboard when I have this option enabled.  The problem is that the
keyboard probe code in the kernel (at least in -current) is also fooled
into thinking a PS/2 keyboard is present, which it decides it likes
better than the USB keyboard.  Some time later it must figure out that
the PS/2 keyboard isn't there after all, at least according to
kbdcontrol, but it isn't smart enough to switch to the USB device.  This
is especially inconvenient when my NIC card also isn't found and I'm
left with a running system that isn't accepting input from anywhere.  At
that point the only way I can recover is to hit the reset switch.