Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Mike Nebeker <Mike_Nebeker@Jabil.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Files

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Mike Nebeker wrote:

> We occasionally get an error message for a file system full message, after
> removing all the mail logs and miscellaneous junk files we are still 92% of
> capacity.  I noticed that the `"/var/spool/mqueue" directory has a great
> amount of files in it.  What are these files and can I remove them.  Also is
> there a way to disable files from going into this directory.

/var/spool/mqueue is outgoing mail. if it can't reach the destination, the
mail will wait there, untill timeout.

i would suggest checking /var/log for extranious log files (really old
messages.x.gz, and so on) before you even consider deleting the mqueue
files.

the only real way to prevent files from appearing in the mqueue is to turn
off mail, or move the mail queue (mqueue) somewhere else.

hope this gives you some ideas,

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan