Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:51:47 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [OT] printing question

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:49:44AM -0600, Andrew Gould wrote:
> Time to buy a new printer.  I don't print much from FreeBSD; but the need
> occasionally arises.  Most of my printing is done while using Mac OS X.  =
The
> Epson Artisan 800 is looking awfully nice; but it's not in the Linux
> printing database yet (http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi).
>=20
> Question:  Since Mac OS X uses CUPS, if I share the printer on the Mac, w=
ill
> I need to worry about FreeBSD compatibility of the printer?  I only need
> printing functions (not scan, etc) for the FreeBSD computer.

I'm not sure that apple uses a non-modified CUPS. It is conceivable that
they have incorporated extra (not open) drivers that aren't in the
standard distribution.

If you want to be safe, buy a printer that understands PostScript. That
will work on FreeBSD (and all other UNIX variants).

Roland
--=20

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5--