Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 00:52:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Bob Bomar <rbbomar@fly.homeunix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Bob Bomar wrote:

> I just put a 40 Gig hard drive in my PII 400.  It has an old BIOS, but I have
> a new BIOS.  The new BIOS does not work, I am going to get it working later.  I
> am trying to figure out how to make a boot disk so that I can boot FBSD 4.4 Rel
> in the mean time.  I have a disk that has PicoBSD on it, so I can access the
> info on the drive.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks

I use a fixit.flp, by itself. I just tell it where to boot from, e.g.,
at the boot: prompt, I type:

0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

the first number being the drive and the second the slice.

The BIOS has to be set up to boot from a floppy if it finds one,
of course.  Once you get it to boot from the hard drive, you can
put a file in the root directory of the floppy called boot.config
with something like:

boot: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

in it, so you don't have to type it in every time.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC