Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 02:09:48 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <199912101752.KAA19725@mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams writes:
> >> In a few days time the wd driver will be retired from FreeBSDs
> >> i386 architecture.
> >
> >Given that the ATA driver just went active a few minutes ago, I think a
> >period of shakeout time would be called for.  I think that time should
> >be longer than a few days, and should be in 4.0, and then retired in
> >4.1.
>
> The ata driver has been available for you and other to test for a long
> time.  4.0-REL is still some time away, so if you are quick you can
> still give it a good shakeout and have any bugs you find fixed before
> 4.0-RELEASE.

Also, I'd like to reiterate something again..  Not running as fast as
possible is *not* a showstopper.  If a device runs in generic PIO or WDMA
mode instead of udma mode, it's *not* the end of the earth.  People in that
scenario won't be stranded.

What is a killer is if a large number of people on popular hardware can't
even boot, *at all*, in no, way, shape or form.  Only that.  The only way
to find that out for sure before 4.0 is to push the issue *now*.

Cheers,
-Peter