Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:33:04 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   Bumping up {MAX,DFL}*SIZ in i386

Last night I ran a program processing very large amount of data. As
the program ate up all of the available address space for data, I
increased MAXDSIZ to 1.5GB so that the program ran successfully.

Now that even an entry-model workstation can equip memory up to 1GB or
more, MAXDSIZ and DFLDSIZ should be increased so that a process can
make use of large memory. On the other hand, MAXDSIZ is also likely to
hit VM_MAXUSER_ADDRESS, which is generally 3GB and may be 2GB if the
size of KVM is expanded to the maximum. MAXDSIZ should thus not exceed
2GB.

I propose the following values for the new user address space
constraints:

MAXTSIZ and DFLTSIZ:	256MB
MAXDSIZ and DFLDSIZ:	1.5GB
MAXSSIZ:		128MB

Total:			1.875G (= 2G - 128M)

MAXTSIZ and DFLTSIZ is bumped as we may want to run a large binary. A
large binary calls for deep function calls, hence MAXSSIZ is bumped as
well.

These values are likely to be the final ones for i386 before jumping
into ia64.

Any comments or flames?

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>