Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:38:00 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        Richard Biffl <biffl@tidalwave.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: phpMyAdmin directory (newbie question)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:34:23PM -0400, Richard Biffl wrote:
> I'm setting up a FreeBSD server for the first time. When I installed Apache,
> it created a /usr/local/www/data-dist directory, with www/data as an alias
> (symlink?). I then installed PHP, then phpMyAdmin, and it installed in
> /usr/local/www/data.default/phpMyAdmin.
>
> I understand that the phpMyAdmin directory should be below www/data. Should
> I change www/data so it points to www/data.default instead of www/data-dist,
> or break the link from www/data to www/data-dist and/or copy
> www/data.default/phpMyAdmin into www/data?

What I did was just copy phpMyAdmin into /usr/local/www/data. I don't think
that breaks anything, and I don't see much benefit in messing with lots and
lots of symlinks just to keep data, data-dist, data-dist.default and
data.default...just my POV.

> I don't want to stray too far from the vanilla installation, but I must be
> missing a step here.

You could also unlink data from data-dist and make data its own directory,
keeping everything apache installed in data-dist. Thus you do not break any
scripts that rely on www/data and you can keep the installation as clear as
possible. Or you could change the DocumentRoot variable to something
completely different, I think it is just a matter of personal preference (and
lazyness :)).

HTH
regards
--