Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:08:22 -0400
From:      John Wolfe <jlw@xinuos.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Use of pkg plugins breaks the build of /usr/ports software

On 4/9/2015 9:27 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 01:59:00AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 03:02:44PM -0400, John Wolfe wrote:
>>> Having built a pkg-plugin based on the pkg-plugin-template at
>>> https://github.com/freebsd/pkg-plugins and adding

>>> the plugin is working as desired.    Good so far......
>>>
>>> I was caught off guard when later attempting to "make" something in
>>> /usr/ports.  The builds fail miserably with multiple

>>> I would not expect that a static binary be able to load and use a
>>> relocatable object so I am surprised that it even tried to do so. Even
>>> so, a failure should be expected and not terminate the pkg-static process.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug, works as designed?
>>>
>> Hum probably both, I need to rework pkg-static so that it is not entierly static
>> but static for all but libc so that it allows plugins, Haven't done that work
>> yet.
>>
>> What bothers me is that pkg-static should not even tried to load plugins so it
>> should not return any failure, that is a bug, I'll try to see fix it.
>>
>> Btw I'm happy to see someone is actually using the plugin interface, I haven't
>> spent time on it since 1.3 and happy to see that I haven't broken it :)
>>
>> I would like to hear more feedback about the usage of plugins, how good/bad it
>> is, how we could improve it etc, this is the first time I'm coding a plugin
>> interface I do not expect it so be good :)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bapt
> This is fixed in our git master, pkg 1.5.0 is to be release on April 14th so I
> won't merge that to 1.4
>
> if you are interesting in testing here the fix:
> https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/commit/efd65a842f3d67b546ee6d95621c2a2ff1896c12

Thanks very much, Baptiste.

We are preparing a distribution based on the releng/10.1 source tree and
the Q12015 /usr/ports.   I will add the fix into our local source
repositories and rebuild pkg 1.4.12+ for the development team in India.

I will let you know how the testing went.

Thanks again.

-- John