Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:27:45 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

Tony Kimball wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Call be crazy, but I think I'd almost like to move the "real" kernel to
> > /boot/kernel, providing the search paths were ok.
>
> Now that would be a substantial improvement: No more files in /.
> This suggests that / could go away.  I like it!

Don't joke too loudly.. :-)  There are (or were) implementations of this
sort of thing kicking around a while ago.

> Further quoth Peter Wemm:
> : > And the bootblocks might be needed for emergency repair.
> : What is going to get put on this bootable
> : installation on the second disk if you can't mount /usr?
>
> FreeBSD.  Remember /stand?

Yes, but if your original /usr is gone and preventing you from getting to
the bootblocks to build your new disk, you are going to have to source a
/usr from somewhere.  Sure, use the /stand tools to do it (ftp enough
binaries to do a make world or whatever), but if you're going to do that
you can *also* get the bootblocks from the same source in order to make
the new disk self bootable.

Anyway, this has been overdone to death now.  It looks like there's some
sort of agreement given that what is really being proposed is having a
file copy of the disk bootblocks in /boot (ie: boot0,1,2, a total of
8.5kb).  This isn't quite the same thing as "moving the contents of /usr/
mdec into /boot" (ie: the 1.4MB cdboot, bootroms, fbsdboot.exe etc).

As long as "disklabel -B da0" etc still works without having to spell out
the boot1/boot2 pathnames (ie: as it worked before), I don't mind.

Cheers,
-Peter