Date:      10 Jan 2001 09:55:23 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anonymous fetch?

john253@crosswinds.net (John Murphy) writes:

> I'm having trouble getting the ports system to work and I think the
> problem is with the password which fetch uses when called by 'make
> install'.
>
> I've just found that I can make install lynx, but it's the only one
> so far; the difference is that lynx fetches using a HTTP URL.  Any
> which use a FTP URL seem to just time out eventually.
>
> So the question is: where is the e-mail address set which fetch would
> use for an anonymous file download when called by make install?
>
> (FreeBSD-4.2 release through a '4.1 gateway)

More likely, you're having problems with the gateway itself, and
probably the return data connections.  There are two approaches you
can take:  either try downloading the distfiles by hand (and debug any
problems that arise), or just go for "passive mode" transfers right
off (I'm not sure if that's the default these days; it might be).