Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:00:20 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Does su have a builtin nohup?

Does su have some kind of a built-in nohup option?  If I su to root and
execute a command or shell script and then disconnect (ie, quit the terminal
software I'm running, which in my case is an ssh session) whatever I was
last running su'd as root continues to run until I manually kill it.
Processes that generate lots of output also seem to generate lots of CPU
usage running in this "background" mode.

You can see this demonstrated by doing:

$ su [-l]
# while true; do date >> testing.txt; sleep 2; done
(disconnect session)

(on some other session on the same box)
$ tail -f testing.txt
Thu Jul 20 14:47:00 CDT 2000
Thu Jul 20 14:47:02 CDT 2000
Thu Jul 20 14:47:04 CDT 2000

(...continues until killed)

Is this the way that it's supposed to work, or is this an
its-not-a-bug-its-a-feature?

--
swb@grasslake.net
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.