Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:19:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Help. PLEASE, on repairing mu Multi-Boot machine (2nd request)

	First ler me apologize, if you have seen this before. I tried to post
	on this yesterday, and I never did see the post mysef. Strnagely, i did
	recieve 1 reply, but it was not enough to solve my problem, which is
	quite critical.

	I have an HP Omnibook, which I had configrued to triple boot (FreeBSD
	3.4 Stable, Windows NT, Windows 95). I have software that I am required
	to run on this machine for work, which only runs under M$ OS's.

	Well. It dwaned on me that I had not needed to boot inot Windows 95 for
	quite some time, and I was runing out of space on my FreeBD partition,
	so I decided to delete the Windows 95 FAT partition, and reuse it as
	/usr in FreeBSD. Unfortunately the result of my bungling, is that I can
	only boot into FreeBSD.

	Hee is the situation. Rhe machine has an 8G hard drive, I had
	partitoned this as folows:

	Part.	Type.
	----     ----
	1			FAT Windows 95
	2			HFS FreeBSD
	3			FAT Windows NT
	4			FAT (Data)

	each partition was about 2G. Normally on bootup I was presented with
	the folowing:

	F1 DOS
	F2 FreeBSD
	F3 DOS
	F4 DOS

	Now only the first 2 really worked, if I took choice 1 I wnet inot a
	menu that allowed me to sselect between NI, NT in faile safe mode, or
	95 (The NT Bootloader?).

	I was in both the disk parttion editior, and the disk slice editor as I
	munged this up. Presently I am only presented with:

	F2 FreeBSD
	F3 DOS
	F4 DOS

	Here is what the Disklabel editor shows:

	Part    Mount   Size Newfs   Part    Mount    Size Newfs
	----    -----   ---- -----   ----    -----   ----   -----
	wd0s2a  <none>           32MB *
	wd0s2b  swap             73MB SWAP
	wd0s2e  <none>           30MB *
	wd0s2f  <none>         1858MB *
	wd0s3   <none>         1993MB DOS
	wd0s4   <none>         1779MB DOS

	Notice that there is no wds1 ( The formere Win 95 partition).

	Here is what the disk slice editor shows:

	Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype Flags
	0            4188240    4188239  -      6     unused        0
	4188240    4082400    8270639    wd0s2      3    freebsd      165    C
	8270640    4082400   12353039    wd0s3      2        fat        6
	12353040    3643920   15996959    wd0s4      2        fat        6    >
	15996960      10080   16007039        -      6     unused        0    >

	 remeber there being an addationl partition 0f 63 blocks size, at the
	 begining of the disk when I started this, but I cannot figure out how
	 to recreate it. I assume that this is where the NT bootloader lived,
	 and that the FreeBSD bootloader is smart enough to detect the
	 presence/ansence of this.

	 How can I reinstall this?

	 I desprately need to make this work, as the alternative is to totally
	 reinstall everyting on the machien, and the corporate powers that be
	 may use this as an excuse to make me tow the line, and install NT only
	 so that it can "supported"

	 Please help.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955