Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 16:03:13 +1200
From:      Calvin Varney <calvin@labworks.co.nz>
To:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Port locations

Hi,

I'm new to the java port process (in fact ports in general) and after
some reading I'm still unclear on whether to install into PREFIX
(/usr/local by default) or JAVAPREFIX (${PREFIX}/share/java by
default)

From http://people.freebsd.org/~znerd/javalibdirs.html we have:

"A Java library is in this proposal defined as a Java archive that is
primarily intended to be used by other Java programs. A Java library
may include executable programs, but these are always secondary, like
examples. Java Development Kits are excluded in this definition."

This covers libraries but what about applications? Currently we have
apps that are clearly not intended to be used by other java programs
(e.g. ant, forte) installed under JAVAPREFIX and others (tomcat,
jboss) directly under PREFIX.

Is there some compelling reason to install apps under JAVAPREFIX?

Firstly why under a share directory. According to hier(7) share is for
architecture-independent files. Java apps are not necessarily
architecture independent as they can use jni or make other assumptions
about their environment. (the same can be said about java libraries).

Secondarily, why under a java subdirectory. Other ports (non java)
aren't installed by their implementation language are they?

Also, the phrase "primarily intended" in this proposal may be too
restrictive. I currently only use apache fop as a stand alone app
though know other integrate it into their own applications, what it is
primarily intended for is a little subjective. Same can be said about
saxon and no doubt others. I think the important thing here is that if
a jar contains components that have been designed to be imported into
anything external to that jar then it should be installed in some
common location. Splitting hairs but may help others in my situation.

My goal is to develop a port for the EJB server JOnAS, though cutting
my teeth on the UML modeller ArgoUML as it should be a lot simpler.

Any guidance/comments appreciated.

Regards,

Calvin.