Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:45:42 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ryan Davis <ryand-bsd@zenspider.com>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mergemaster mtree:No such file or directory

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:25:30PM -0800, Ryan Davis wrote:

> >> Looks like /usr/sbin isn't in your PATH.
> >
> > something changed in bash 5 on this and only this host.  it wanted
> > 'export' before 'PATH=' in /etc/profile.
> >
> > thanks for the help
>
> Maybe a naive question, but:
>
> Shouldn't the build system (including mergemaster) be impervious to
> side-effects from things like PATH?

I could easily envision situations where one might want to play games
with one's PATH when using mergemaster(8). I think having
mergemaster(8) toss aside the user's PATH and essentially hardcode its
own makes the tool much less flexible, violates POLA, and generally
violates the whole purpose of PATH and environmental variables.

I think giving mergemaster(8) a PATH that includes all of the tools it
needs to run is not a lot to ask.