Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 08:55:01 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de
Subject:   Re: Automatic Documentation Index

On Mon 1999-10-04 (21:51), Andrew Boothman wrote:

> I've been a little disappointed in the response to this. Do we think
> this is a worthwhile project, that we should encourage the Ports team
> to adopt, or should I just drop the idea?

Apathy is something you have to deal with sometimes, especially
when no-one specifically feels it is in their "job description".

For example, this should probably go to -ports, where a whole bunch
of people will say "No, this is just adding more work to the
porters!", and hopefully someone respected will say "wow, what a
great idea", and everyone else will shut up.

> I certainly think it's a good idea, but i'll need the support of at
> least somebody else, otherwise it's just a one-man crusade. I need the
> documentation project behind me on this.

Consider the documentation project behind you ;)

Seriously, if noone says "bah, this is a stupid idea", they're
probably just waiting for the patches to be applied.

At the very least, I'm behind this one for you, if that means
anything, as it was on my TODO list, and I believe Nik's one too.
Just shout (like I suggested) if you need help with ports/package
tool patches - I'm pretty comfortable in them.

> Do we think that newbies and busy sysadmins alike would benifit from
> an index page like this or not? If so, how should we move forward
> toward implementing it?

Patches, and then submitting it to the PR system.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za