Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:18:36 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <chip.wiegand@simrad.com>
Subject:   Re: rc.conf

----- Original Message -----
From: chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 3:19 PM
Subject: rc.conf

I've searched the archives, faq, manual, and google/bsd, all to no
avail.
I know this is possible - send a sig hup to rc.conf so it will be
re-read with
the new changes, thus avoiding rebooting the machine. I just don't
remember
the correct way to do it. I saw the answer before, just didn't write it
down, dummy
me. Could someone remind me?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that it's not possible.  If
it is, I'm sure I will be corrected.  :)

The reason I think it's not possible is because the /etc/rc is the
master script that's run on startup.  I pulls in all the values set in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.  It then looks at /etc/rc.conf and uses those
values to override the settings pulled in previously.  Next, it runs all
the rc.* scripts to start the various services.

So essentially, if you re-ran /etc/rc you would be rebooting.  The
question to ask here is, what daemon/process/config in particular do you
want to restart with new values?  Then kill that daemon and restart it
with the appropriate switches.  For example, if you're looking to change
network configs, look at the ifconfig utility.  If you want to change
syslogd, kill syslogd and restart with the appropriate switches.

OK, so now I await any corrections or ommissions in my answer.  After
all, this is how I learn too!  :)

Drew