Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:12:43 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Todd Reed <ex279@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DIG and NSLOOKUP...server fails

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:21:44PM -0500, Todd Reed wrote:
> I've created my zone, boot, and reverse files; but when I do a nslookup, I
> get the following error
>
> *** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Server failed
> *** Default servers are not available

This is telling you that nslookup(1) is lame and should not be
used. Consider it depricated.

> If I do a DIG, I get:
>
> ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> mydomain.com
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 4
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
> ;; QUERY SECTION:
> ;;      mydomain.com, type = A, class = IN
>
> ;; Total query time: 13 msec
> ;; FROM: hera.mydomain.com to SERVER: default -- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> ;; WHEN: Tue Aug 21 06:23:13 2001
> ;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 31
>

> What is this telling me and where is it going wrong?  I've got the BIND and
> DNS grasshopper book and have been looking through all the DNS information
> for the past two days.

Your server is up and listening but not well. The SERVFAIL (2)
response indicates that theres is some internal problem that prevents
the server from processing the query. Do you have any messages in
/var/log/messages from your named(8) startup?