Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:37:53 +0100
From:      Roland.Reimer@t-online.de (Roland Reimer)
To:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Failed installation of jdk1.1.7

dear sirs,

we want to run on our server (solaris - freeBSD) a java-based chat. from
the beginning we had a lot of problems - it seems with the
java-runtime-installation.

what we did:
1. we downloaded the file jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz
3. we gave it the normal name and transfered it to our server to /usr/local
(as written in the manual)
4. we tried to expand the file by the command tar zxvpf
jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz -C /usr/local, but it did not work (message:
usage: tar -{txru}[cevfbmopwBHLPX014578] [tapefile] [blocksize] file1
file2...
5. so our technical support extracted the file by typing gunzip
jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz
6. the file (13 MB) extracted to 35 MB
7. by typing the command tar zxvpf jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz the folder
jdk1.1.7 and then /bin /demo /include /lib and /src in jdk1.1.7 where
created
8. during the running listing on telnet we got a lot of messages
...problems with GUI...
9. we unzipped the source.zip
10. in the file .cshrc we added the path
/usr/home/dobis/usr/local/jdk1.1.7/bin so that (as written in the manual)
the command % which java causes the right path
11. by starting the configure-file of the chat-server (spin-chat), we had
to name the full path of the java-runtime and it created the startchat.sh
12. when executing this file, we got the message Couldn't open
/usr/libexec/ld.so.
13. using our FTP-programm we couldn't find any files in the folder
/usr/libexec
14. the chat-creator meaned, that it's a sign for a not correctly installed
java-runtime

what did we wrong?
what can we do, to get a running java-runtime?
if you need the IP, login and pass we will send it immediatly

we are totally frusted, working days and weeks to install the runtime and
the chat - but nothing works

thanks for your help

Roland Reimer, Germany

Nordwelt digital
Internet-Dienstleistungen
R. Reimer
Friedrichstraße 3   ---   24226 Heikendorf

info@nordwelt.de