Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:24:31 -0400
From:      John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: limit to number of files seen by ls?

On Jul 26, 2009, at 4:45 AM, Mel Flynn wrote:

> On Saturday 25 July 2009 23:34:50 Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> It's fairly rare to run into this as a practical
>> limitation during most day to day use, and there are various
>> tricks like
>> using xargs(1) to extend the usable range.  Even so, for really big
>> applications that need to process long lists of data, you'ld have
>> to code
>> the whole thing to input the list via a file or pipe.
>
> ls itself is not glob(3) aware, but there are programs that are,
> like scp. So
> the fastest solution in those cases is to single quote the argument
> and let
> the program expand the glob. for loops are also a common work around:
> ls */* == for f in */*; do ls $f; done
>
> Point of it all being, that the cause of the OP's observed behavior
> is only
> indirectly related to the directory size. He will have the same
> problem if he
> divides the 4000 files over 4 directories and calls ls */*

H'mmm... I haven't come back on this question, because I want my next
question to be an intelligent one, but I'm having a hard time
understanding what is going on. I'm reading up on this, and as soon
as I know enough to either understand the issue, or ask an
intelligent question, I will do so...

Thanks for all the comments...

-- John