Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:40:05 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8 for Linux

Yknow, I like your idea, Wes...

A "Works with FreeBSD" logo of some sort would be a good idea for software
that doesn't blatantly say on it "FreeBSD".  At the same time, it'd be
valid to put on things like that too, after all, Known Windows programs
still have a "Designed for Windows 95" logo on it..

I wasn't clear on if Corel was really going to support the Linux version or
not.  As it goes, Support via EMAIL is not very tedious (maybe 10 people
could push through 500 support questions), but when it comes to phone
support, that's another story.

At 11:13 PM 10/26/98 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>Greg Lehey opined:
>% The Linux version should work, and if people get the
>% impression that the Linux port is just the tip of the iceberg, they
>% might decide not to do it again.
>
>Kris Kennaway wrote:
># I didnt understand this bit.
>
>Drew Baxter wrote:
>>
>> I get the tip of the iceberg thing.  Right now Corel is experimenting by
>> porting to Linux.  If we bombard them with "Hey port it to...." then that
>> would not be very fair to them yet. Especially if the Linux version will
>> work under FreeBSD in emulation.
>
>Not to mention the support hours, etc., required to support yet another
>UNIX version.  Remember, this is what scares many software vendors away
>from UNIX in the first place.
>
>I'd like to point out this is yet another opportunity for a home-grown,
>"Works with FreeBSD" branding program where WE do all the work and the
>vendors get to stick things on their web pages and software because
>WE said they work with FreeBSD.
>
>It's a simple idea, really.  We find application XXX, developed for
>Linux, or SCO, or any other operating system we emulate well.  Several
>different people, with different hardware, test it on FreeBSD x.y.  If
>the general consensus is that it's useful and relatively bugfree vis-
>a-vis FreeBSD x.y, we put this info on a web page.  We then contact
>the vendor and tell them "We've tested this and it works well with
>FreeBSD under emulation.  If you put this logo, with a link to our
>web page reporting our testing, on your web site, we'll put a link
>to your web site in our commercial vendors page.  We'll also list your
>initial compatibility in a column in Daemon News, and give you ad space
>there as well."  We're offering them free advertising and a one-million-
>strong user base in return for no work and a compatibility logo.
>
>I'm up for testing Corel; can we get a logo designed?  I don't think
>we need a lot of formal setup for this, perhaps just someone who can
>maintain the web page.
>
>--
>       "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
>Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
>http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998