Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:53:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starwars trailer?

HI,

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Nocturne wrote:

> Has anyone tried mpegtv?
>
> www.mpegtv.com/player.html

I tried this today - there's a port (not committed yet - see GNATs for the
PR) that I grabbed to try it.

The port is ... messed up.  It will try to fetch the wrong files - you
need to remove the "-freebsd" from the various files to be fetched.  Once
that's done it built and installed okay.  Not a big deal.

You then need to manually set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as it needs a special
library not in /compat/linux.  Again - not a big deal.

Once it's compiled I tried playing the trailer mpeg.  Ugh - the sound was
horrific (read noise and no actual discernible sounds).  I'm using the
regular sound drivers (snd0 and its associates).  I thought maybe it
needed Luigi's sound code so I recompiled the kernel to use it and removed
the snd0 and associates.  Afterwards I noticed immediately that for some
reason sound only came out of the right speaker.  Playing WAV files w/
splay was also strange as it would play a WAV file through like 1.5 times
instead of just once.  It would also sometimes play the previous WAV when
a new one was chosen.  Hmmm... I mucked around w/ it a bit and couldn't
get it to play through both speakers so I gave up, moved kernel.old back
to kernel and rebooted. I don't think I ever actually tried the trailer w/
Luigi's code though. That was dumb.  :-P

If anyone has success w/ this I'd be happy to hear about it (or if anyone
knows why I was having strange results w/ Luigi's code).

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu *
                        brett@daemonnews.org              *
							  *