Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 15:15:25 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DFE650 unresponsive after reattaching balun

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 01:13:57AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Having just made the jump from 3.2-PAO to 4.0-stable on my Vaio F270,
> things are going fairly well.

[...]

> Under 3.2-PAO I could disconnect the balun (or 'dongle', if you prefer)
> from the network card, but leave the network card in the machine.  I could
> then use the machine off the network as normal -- I'd get a few messages
> in syslog about the network not responding, but nothing that seemed to
> cause any problems.

[...]

> I just tried it today with 4.0-stable and it doesn't work.  I get the usual
> syslog messages about the network not being contactable.  Then, when I
> plug the balun back in the link lights don't come on.  "ifconfig -a" shows
> the ed1 interface as being "UP", and with an IP address.  I tried removing
> and reinserting the card to see if I could force pccardd to redetect it,
> but no joy.  I tried killing and restarting pccard, and then removing and
> reinserting the card -- again, no joy.  In the end I rebooted, and the card
> came back to life.

Following a suggestion from Sean O'Connell, I've been playing around with
this a little bit more.

Two things have helped.  The first was replacing the complete
"device ed1 ..." line in the kernel config file with just "device ed".

The second was using pccardc to power the card off and on.

When I plug the balun back in the power lights don't come on.  If I eject
the card there are no kernel messages printed, and similarly, if I reinsert
the card, nothing happens.

However, if I leave the card in and run "pccardc power 0 0" then the kernel
prints that the card in slot 0 has been removed, and if I then run
"pccardc power 0 1" then the kernel reports the card has been inserterd,
prints the recognition string for the DFE 650, and then things can proceed
as normal.

This is the same laptop and card as I was using with PAO 3.2, so it looks
like the functionality to do this automatically has been lost somewhere
along the way.

From memory, I recall that with 3.2 if I suspended the machine the kernel
would print that the cards had been removed, and would print that they'd
been reinserted when I resumed.  I assume I could use apmd to automatically
do the power off then on trick when I suspend and resume now?