Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:02:55 -0700
From:      Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
To:        "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnetd without inetd

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 12:19 pm, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> Is there a way to run telnetd in "standalone" mode, i.e. without inetd?
> We have a system that we sometimes need to connect to from within a cisco
> router, which can't do ssh (and not from anywhere else, we've firewalled
> it as such).
>
> -Dan Mahoney
>
> --
>
> "If you aren't going to try something, then we might as well just be
> friends."
>
> "We can't have that now, can we?"
>
> -SK & Dan Mahoney,  December 9, 1998

Are you just concerned about running it through inetd?  What about the
alternative xinetd?  If you already have it firewalled, I'm not sure what
your concern is about running it through inetd.  I don't know if you can run
telnetd as a standalone daemon, but if that's the only service that's enabled
in inetd.conf, does it matter?

FWIW, you can further lock down access in the hosts.allow file.

-doug