Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2017 08:53:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Jeremie Le Hen <jlh@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rtools were deemed almost unused 15 years ago...

> --------
> In message <20170621034106.GA27501@lonesome.com>, Mark Linimon writes:
> >On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 12:36:37PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> >> Keep the telnet client. It's still heavily used for more things than
> >> connecting to telnetd.
> >
> >e.g. dumb remote power controllers.
> >
> >nc blah 23 doesn't get me very far, am I missing a magic flag?
>
> No, you're missing TELNET option negotiations.

nc -t well do that for you.  (I only know this because I just went
and read the man page for nc as someone mentioned it in this
thread and I wanted to know if infact it supports telnet option
negatiation.)

But this does NOT mean I agree with removal of telnet/telnetd.

Isnt this whole discussion kinda pointless if you consider
this well be handle by packaged base?  Those who want these
in there systems can have them, and those that think telnet/
telnetd are a bigger security risk than nc can also remove
them.