Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:25:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        REINALDO JIMENEZ <cambridge8@verizon.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HI plotter (was Re: Help)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, REINALDO JIMENEZ wrote:

[ A more descriptive subject line is more likely to get you an answer.
Lots of people delete 'Help' without reading. ]

> My friend has a Houston Instrument Plotter Model DMP-50 and can not
> get it running to print his school work (AutoCAD DWGs)
>
> Need driver? What he should look for?

If your AutoCAD is anything like recent, you're running it under
Windows. Autodesk haven't supported any other platform since Release 13,
which was about 10 years ago.

I set up something like this years ago, using an HI DMP-61 with FreeBSD
3.2 or 3.3. What I did was to install Samba on the FreeBSD machine, and
set it up to 'share' the plotter (connected on an RS232 port) as a
printer. Then the Windows clients were able to see the plotter as a
networked printer, and use the native AutoCAD driver for that plotter.
The FreeBSD machine was pretty much acting as a print server for that
plotter.

Sorry to be so vague, but it was a long time ago. Hope this gets you
pointed in the right direction.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]