Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:59:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Carl Mascott <cmascott@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD 3.3-R can't detect disk on Promise Ultra33

[ I sent this to freebsd-questions but got no response.  I'm
   pretty sure this is a bug (wdc1 OK, wdc0 can't detect disk). ]

DEC Celebris 590 (P90)
2 IDE on motherboard (CMD 640B), disabled
Promise Ultra33 PCI IDE bus master
WD AC24300 on Promise IDE #1 (won't work on motherboard IDE)
Toshiba CD-ROM on Promise IDE #2
FreeBSD 3.3 kernel & mfsroot floppies

The hardware is all OK: I have NT 4.0 running on this config.

Enter CLI kernel config and config both wdc0 and wdc1 as
follows:

port 0
irq -1
flags 0xa0ffa0ff (have also tried 0xb0ffb0ff)

Hardware probe detects both CMD 640B (wdc0) and Promise
Ultra33 (ide_pci0).
PCI attach says "ide_pci0: adding drives to controller 0: 0 1 2 3".
Then:

wdc0 not found at 0xfc48
wdc1 found at 0xfc50-0xfc57
(Further messages correctly identify the Toshiba CD-ROM.)

As far as I know, these are the correct ports for the
Promise (wdc1 is certainly correct because the CD-ROM
is found there).

FWIW, the BIOS on my motherboard can't detect the WD AC24300
when it's on motherboard IDE #1, although CMD's DOS
diagnostic "checkide.exe" can.  The motherboard BIOS has a
4096 cylinder (2.1 GB) limit and it's a 4.3 GB drive.

Is this a bug in FreeBSD's IDE support?

Please e-mail me directly.  Thanks!

--
Carl Mascott