Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:44:17 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net.il>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMTP and POP3

Thanks for everyone who replied. I'll post my replies in a single
message.

>If you want to prevent PPP from dialling up when a user sends mail, take a look at the PPP filter features.  Namely the "set filter dial" features.  man ppp for more details.

I forgot to mention I have ISDN and therefore use sPPP, not user-ppp,
so I don't have the user-ppp facilities. If user-ppp is manditory,
though, I could arrange ISDNoPPP somehow, though I'm content with my
sPPP setup for now, so I'd rather not change it if possible.

>check the following: http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.23 It might have something useful.

I checked it out, but what I want is to have a daemon fetch my mail
with POP3, I don't have an SMTP server that delays the transfers for
me.

>I have this exact scenario setup at my office and it works great.

Good to hear this is possible.

>I am using sendmail and fetchmail to get my POP3 mail from my ISP's server. My FreeBSD server is configured as a gateway and I am using userland ppp to connect to my ISP whenever anyone attempts to access the net.

Yep, that's exactly what I want.

>It appears in your message that you have most of this setup already (unless I am reading it incorrectly) so I'm not quite sure where your problem is. Maybe a little more detail would help.

You missed one keyword: "ideal" - this is the situation I would like
to have, not what I have. Currently, I just set up Netscape to check
mail, though I'd like mail delivered to my user account so I could use
mutt/pine/whatever.

Thanks for everyone who replied, looking forward to hearing from you
all. I'm going to be away for a couple of days now, so it could take a
few days for me to respond.

TIA,

Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net.il