Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2006 05:36:56 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port Not Available

--------------enig5C7A177D06BF6F63EB5F2758

Gerard Seibert wrote:

> OK, the ifconfig lo0 looks like this:
>=20
> ~ $ ifconfig lo0
> lo0: flags=3D8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
>         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

No problems there.

> The sockstat | grep :25
>=20
> ~ $ sockstat | grep :25
>=20
> root     master     681   11 tcp4   *:25                  *:*
> root     ntpd       519   6  udp6   fe80:1::250:baff:fe43:3a7f:123*:*

Your MTA is not listening on any IPv6 addresses -- that might be by desig=
n.
If that is so and if you're in the habit of telnet'ing to localhost port =
25
to test things, you need to make it so that localhost resolves to 127.0.0=
=2E1
rather than ::1.  That depends on where your system finds the info from. =
 If
it's /etc/hosts then you can comment out the ::1 entry there and leave ju=
st
127.0.0.1.  If it's the DNS, and assuming you don't have any control over=

the server, then you can try tweaking /etc/nsswitch.conf so that host loo=
kups
consult /etc/hosts first, and don't go to the DNS if they find an answer =
in
/etc/hosts.

Perhaps easier in the long run to get your MTA IPv6 enabled.

> And finally: sockstat | grep :515
>=20
> ~ $ sockstat | grep :515
>=20
> daemon   lpd        915   6  tcp4   *:515                 *:*

Again, lpd is not listening on any IPv6 addresses.  According to the man
page it should default to listening on both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
You can try adding:

    lpd_flags=3D"-46"

into /etc/rc.conf and then '/etc/rc.d/lpd restart'  That *should* be the
default, but it's worth trying.

> Finally, this is a quick list of what happens when I issue 'lpr'
> commands. You will notice that there is a slight difference in the erro=
> message displayed, but the result is the same. I can, however, print a
> test page using apsfilter. I am at my wits end to figure out what is
> happening. If I had any hair left, I would be pulling it out by now.

Printing from the localhost will generally use the Unix domain socket at
/var/run/printer.  In fact, if all you want to do is print from localhost=
,
then putting:

    lpd_flags=3D'-s'

in rc.conf is a good move -- that stops lpd listening on any network
interfaces.

Also check /etc/hosts.lpd for sanity -- you need to list hosts allowed to=

send jobs to the printer in that file.

If the remote hosts you're trying to print from are not Unix machines, th=
en
you may have to add '-W' to the lpd_flags to permit lpd to accept print j=
obs
where the sending side does not use a privileged socket.

> ~ $ lpc status all
>  Printer           Printing Spooling Jobs  Server Subserver Redirect St=
atus/(Deb
> ug)
> lp@scorpio          enabled  enabled    0    none    none

Ah... You aren't running the system lpr/lpd then? That produces output mo=
re like this:

    happy-idiot-talk:/etc:% lpc status all=20
    lp:
            queuing is enabled
            printing is enabled
            no entries in spool area
            printer idle

If that is what you intended, then you'll have to consult the manuals for=
 the
printer daemon you are running and adapt the instructions I gave above
appropriately.

> ~ $
> ~ $ lpr -Pscorpio /etc/printcap
> lpr: Connection refused
> ~ $
> ~ $ lpr -Pseibercom /etc/printcap
> lpr: Connection refused
> ~ $
> ~ $ lpr -Pseibercom.net /etc/printcap
> lpr: Connection refused
> ~ $
> ~ $ lpr  /etc/printcap
> lpr: Error - scheduler not responding!
>=20

Also, if you describe what printers you have and where it might help -- t=
he
above either shows a lot of attempts to connect to a network interface wh=
ere there
is no lpd listening, or the effect of some overzealous firewall rules dro=
pping
lpr traffic.

	Cheers,

	Matthew