Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:12:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Avoiding slices

I'm trying to recreate a behaviour that worked nicely for me in
FreeBSD 2.x but I can't seem to get to work with FreeBSD 3.0. I want
to dedicate the entire disk to FreeBSD (and I promise never to put
anything else on the disk!) but even after picking the "dangerously
dedicated" option in sysinstall, I still have to use "/dev/da0s1a" and
changing /etc/fstab to use just /dev/da0a produces bad
results. (Specifically when rebooting with a dirty root file system.)

Should I just abandon my wish to go back to the olden days of
/dev/da1a and deal with the DOS partition table and slices?