Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 06:48:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us (Jim Durham)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jbryant@tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: floppy disks

> > > (My  old CP/M box was an Altair with Persci 8 inchers and a Tarbell
> > > controller.)
> >
> > Did you decode the Tarbell format message in Isao Tomita's rendition
> > of Musorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition" from the piece "Dance Of
> > Chicks In their Shells"?
> >
> > Just curious...
>
> Hmmmm... I like that work, but I'm more partial to the "Great Gates
> at Kiev". (Gee...is Bill from Russia?). (I know, it's "Gate", but I
> needed some "poetic license".)

My favorite thing about that particular piece is that it was used
as background music for a bank commercial, and they spent the whole
voiceover talking about how "American" the bank was, and how, if you
were really a "real American", you'd probably rush right out and
deposit all your money there.  All backed by the music of a Russian
composer...

I nearly fell off my chair laughing the first time I saw it, and I had
to explain to the other people in Arby's why it was funny so that they
didn't think I was a loon.

> Anyhow, no..I have the Herbert Von Karajan/Philharmonia version, so no..
> should I dig it up?

Well, it's nifty in its own right, if you like synthesizer music; I
don't know how well the tarbell data would come over off the CD,
actually; I had some problems with the direct-disk recording (vinyl
top end recording technology) I have back when I had the equipment
to do tarbell... so with it mangled onto a CD, there's probably no
chance.  Basically, I asked because I didn't get the whole thing,
only pieces.  8-(.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer also do a good version (but no tarbell message).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---