Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:57:21 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk>
To:        Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ncr0: timeout ccb=0xf0533400 (skip)

I've been running a symbios logic scsi controller with the following
stats:

symbios logic v4.0 pci scsi bios pci rev 2.0,2.1 pci-4.03.00
53c875 fast20 wide scsi

with a fujitsu M2949E-512 HDD (between 8 and 9 Gbytes), which gets very
hot, on my work desktop under NT without problem.

A couple of days ago I tried to migrate to FBSD 2.2.7R, by spliting the
disk into two slices, putting FBSD on the upper 4G and NT on the lower
4G ('cos NT wont boot from the upper 4G slice). Mostly fine, samba
running very smoothly, shlight not so good (kernel smb_receive:
smb_error = -31).

However, the system keeps falling over with a ncr0: timeout (different
ccb value each time), and needs a power cycle to reboot. Usually falling
over again during the first fsck attempt, requiring a second power cycle
before I can login again.

I checked the physical interface between the controller and the drive
(and shortened it). I have eliminated shlight as a source of the
problem. In the end I had to back out and go back to NT :-(

Q1. I'm a bit new to scsi and unix (FreeBSD user since Feb 98): Do you
think the problem is the controller, drive or software?

Q2. I will be buying 3.0R CDs as soon as they appear over here: Do you
think that CAM will significantly improve my situation?

Thanks,
richard.
--
Richard Smith