Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 14:04:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo@euitt.upm.es>
Cc:        Dan Moschuk <dan@trinsec.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Database holywars?

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Pedro J. Lobo wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 1999, Dan Moschuk wrote:
>

> >Greetings,
> >
> >I've taken up a project that will rely very heavily on remote database
> >access.  Naturally, the choice as to which database engine to use is a
> >crucial one.
> >
> >I'd like to stay away from the commercial database suites (i.e. Oracle) for
> >the time being, however I will eventually move to it once the database grows
> >to over 100M records.  In the meantime however, I'm debating heavily between
> >MySQL and Berkeley DB with a multi-threaded socket frontend.
> >
> >Suggestions and comments?
>
> ¿Have you considered PostgreSQL? It is on the ports collection, and is a
> heavy duty database engine, with transactions, subqueries (only partial
> support), etc. Version 6.5 will be released in about two weeks, and it
> adds MVCC (multi-version concurrency control), which will improve a lot
> its multi-user capabilities. And, I know of some projects that are using
> it for multi-GB databases. I've been using it for or student database
> for more than two years (since version 6.0), and am quite happy with
> it. See www.postgresql.org for more information.

And it has Java bindings (JDBC).  I found Java makes *great* front ends.
Postgresql + Java are a fine mixture.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).