Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 03:06:24 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@olinet.isf.kiev.ua>
To:        Jason Cromer <jacromer@vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing X 3.3.1 on FreeBSD 2.2.2

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Jason Cromer wrote:

>   Can someone tell me what's going on here?  I'm a new (about a month)
> FreeBSD user and I've been trying since then to install X.  My machine is a
> P-133,
> 32mb ram, 1gb allocated for FreeBSD, and a 2mb SVGA card.  I'm trying
<snip>
>   # cd /usr

Here's where your problem is: you should _first_ create /usr/X11R6
directory, then
# cd /usr/X11R6
and then everything else:
>   #for i in /msdos/freebsd/xfree86/x*.tgz; do tar -x -z --unlink -f
> $i; done
>
>   <There was no /usr/X11R6 directory even created so I manually created it>

See above: these files doesn't create /usr/X11R6

<snip>
>   # ldconfig /usr/lib  /usr/local/lib  /usr/X11R6/lib
>
>   <Error:  /usr/local/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib do not exist at all.

Small wonder: everything that should have gone to /usr/X11R6/lib went to
/usr/lib instead. BTW, so far you don't really need /usr/local/lib; if you
do later - you can create it when you need it (or it will be created when
you install something else).
>   I really appreciate any advice or help with this in pointing me in
> the right direction to get X up and running.  Thank you :)

You're welcome
>   Jason

Hope this helps,
Vladimir