Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:30:56 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Gary B. Corell" <wa5qjh@xmission.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recompiling the kernel

Gary B. Corell <wa5qjh@xmission.com> types:
>  My most recent attempt was with FreeBSD 4.1 and in the course of
> recompiling ( which went a very long way thru bfore erroring out) I got
> "ERROR CODE 1". when I went searching for the meaning of that error code
> I couldn't find it either. All this is making me feel terribly stupid (
> Don't say it :). is there anybody out there that can help me? is there
> anybody in the Salt Lake City to Ogden area that I might call to get me
> restarted? Anybody in the Western US?

Error code 1 is what make reports when a command fails. You need to
log the build process, and go backwards through the string of "error
code 1s" until you find the command that originall failed. That should
also have information about what's going on.

>  When I get all those errors, what do I need to do to "clean house" for
> the next try? I've learned the hard way that is essential too. I have a
> long copy of the display of the entire compile process if needed.

To be absolutely safe, do a "make clean" in the COMPILE directory
after you do the "config", but before you do the "make depend".

> PLEASE !! If someone can help, please answer directly to me at
> wa5qjh@xmission.com rather that some other forum.

That's SOP here.

	<mike