Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:32:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@labrador.cslab.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netgroup Problem

I am trying to restrict access to a machine that is running NIS.  I need
the accounts there (to receive mail) but I don't want these people logging
in.  To achieve this, I created a netgroup with the people that I want to
be able to login (consult) and added the following to my password file:

+@consult:::::::::
+:::::::::/usr/bin/false

The problem is, that the people in the consult group can't actually log in.
The problem appears to be that programs that use getpwnam don't work while
those that use getpwent work fine.  (i.e. finger will show the correct
info but sudo, login, su, etc. don't).

I was looking at the source and it doesn't look like getpwnam looks
through the netgroups at all.  (I didn't look that carefully so I
could be mistaken).

Has anyone gotten something like this to work??

Thanks.