Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 1997 17:25:26 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to add slice to existing FS

On Thu, Dec 25, 1997 at 10:54:23AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Probably you shouldn't use partition 'c'
> as it's special.
>
> do the folowing:
>
> disklabel -e -r /dev/rsd0s4
>
>  (or whatever the device is called)  and add an 'a' entry that is exactly
> like the 'c' entry, but give it a blocksize and fragsize (use disklabel to
> look at your existing partitions for examples)  (disklabel -e will put you
> in whatever editor is in your $EDITOR variable)  then change fstab to
> match, and you will be 'safer' you will not need to move any data or
> re-newfs..
> 'c' is special and in my new slice code is 'left out' for various reasons
> anyhow.
> This proceedure is very low risk (assuming you get he correct disk :-)
>
> julian

[snip]

Julian,
I am concerned about your "new slice code" as I have always used the 'c'
slice/partition when I want to allocate an entire disk. My concern is
(1) Whether, upon some future upgrade, this new code will break existing
systems which use the 'c' slice; and (2) Is your new code likely to cause
headaches during new installs (especially for those of us who use the
'c' slice to allocate an entire disk)?

What does your new slice code affect?
Why do you refer to the 'c' slice as special?

Any heads up you can give will be greatly appreciated.
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.