Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:54:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.x compatibilty.. Was: MFC of rcNG?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Trish Lynch wrote:

> for what its worth, I agree with this rather than the "2.2+rc is going
> away as soon as 5.0 comes out"
>
> People may have changes to the original rc system that they were using
> that they would be given time to migrate if we used rcng as the default in
> 5.0 but were able to use the old one as well

First, anyone smart enough to make modifications to their /etc/rc* scripts
is probably smart enough to hack them into the rcNG framework with a
minimum of fuss. It's not really THAT much different internally. Second,
it's exactly for situations like this that I think we SHOULD make a clean
break at 5.0. There are already enough clean breaks to be made other
places, this is very likely to be one of the least of them.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?