Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:40:43 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation bugs 3.0BETA 10-09??? We need a can of RAID :)

Please note that at the moment FTL doesn't have a DPT card of any
description, so we can't do any inhouse debugging of release problems
with them.

We haven't seen any of the problems you're seeing on any other disk
controller, which makes me suspect that it's related to something
unique that the DPT is doing.

> Hi.  running into some interesting problems trying to install
> 3.0 Beta, 10-09 release.
>
> A bit about the hardware in this machine...
> Pent II 350, Intel BX Chipset
> DPT Raid Controller (DPT PM3334UW)
> 128 Megs of ram, etc etc.
>
> I go in and dedicate a partition to freebsd...
> I then break the partition up into these chunks:
>
> 256 Megs      /
> 512 Megs      SWAP
> 1000 Megs    /var
> 3200 Megs    /usr/local
> 2400 Megs    /usr
>
> basically all goes as normal until it tries to newfs the partitions...
>
> when it tries to newfs the first slice ( / filesystem)
>
> Debug reports "DEBUG: unknown major/minor for devtype -"

The message is actually "MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype ..."
and comes from libdisk.  It's surprising that it's being called, but
it *shouldn't* actually be fatal.

Do all the filesystems get created correctly at this stage?

> it dies with a message on the debug console where it gives "Cross device
> link" error in newfs  and then a rewrite label error.

This sounds a little odd.  It would help to know what the actual text
from newfs was.

> I just wanted to make sure you guys knew of this situation before the
> release date.

Thanks for the notice; unfortunately it's difficult to know where to
point the finger.  A similar partitioning scheme on a single IDE disk
seems to work just fine, so the suspicion about it maybe being
DPT-related has to take some weight.  I can't see how, though.