Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:08:31 -0700
From:      vehemens <vehemens@verizon.net>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] drm updates

On Friday 15 August 2008 07:41:27 am Coleman Kane wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 23:07 -0700, vehemens wrote:
> > Having said all of that, I'll add that I'm hoping to get a commit bit
> > soon given that I have a number of local patches that reduces the
> > unnecessary differences (that's the plan anyway).
>
> Do you host any of the patches publicly right now? I'd be more than
> happy to test them out and see how well they work with my RS690. Right
> now my GPU is unusable for EXA or DRI using xf86-video-ati
> (intermittently works) or xf86-video-radeonhd (never works, displays
> artifacts, then screeches to a halt).
>
> I was more active in getting things tested for the radeonhd, ati, and
> rnoland's patches until about halfway through June. Since then, the Day
> Job and a move back to Cincinnati have both occupied my ever decreasing
> amount of spare time.

The kernel driver is only part of what needs to be updated.  One of my systems
uses a RV370 which along with most of xorg master is pretty stable.  Recent
input changes seems to broken the xserver mouse driver interface however.

I haven't made the DRM patches available, but that's what the commit bit
should do.  Not sure how to handle the port tree patches and tar-balls from
git master.

Most of my DRM patches reduce the differences between BSD & linux which I
consider a stepping stone to DRI2 and other features.  I was hoping that
stability would be a fall-out from this work.

Haven't tried xf86-video-radeonhd with a RS690 recently, but it's PLL problems
several months ago was the reason I bought a HD 2600 PRO (also for it's two
DVI ports).  Using git master xf86-video-radeonhd with the 2600 seems to be
pretty stable.