Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:25:57 -0800
From:      Mike Eubanks <mse_software@charter.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS network load on 5.4-STABLE

As soon as I mount my NFS file systems, the network load increases to a
constant 80%-90% of network bandwidth, even when the file systems are
not in use.  NFS stats on the client machine (nfsstat -c) produce the
following:

Client Info:
Rpc Counts:
 Getattr  Setattr   Lookup  Readlink    Read    Write    Create  Remove
       0        0        8         0       0        0         0       0
  Rename     Link  Symlink     Mkdir   Rmdir  Readdir  RdirPlus  Access
       0        0        0         0       0        1         0       4
   Mknod   Fsstat   Fsinfo  PathConf  Commit
       0    73030        6         0       0
Rpc Info:
 TimedOut   Invalid X Replies   Retries  Requests
        0         0         0         0     73049
Cache Info:
Attr Hits  Misses Lkup Hits  Misses BioR Hits  Misses BioW Hits  Misses
       37       1        10       8         0       0         0       0
BioRLHits  Misses BioD Hits  Misses DirE Hits  Misses
        0       0         1       1         1       0

Fsstat and Requests are increasing very rapidly.  Both the client and
server are i386 5.4-STABLE machines.  Is this behaviour normal?

/etc/rc.conf
rpcbind_enable="YES"
rpcbind_flags="-h 192.168.11.200"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfs_server_flags="-h 192.168.11.200 -u -t -n 6"
mountd_flags="-r"

--
Mike Eubanks <mse_software@charter.net>