Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:51:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Rob <drifter@stratos.nospam.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Dictionary

>      This might sound like a stupid question, but how is it possible
> to "copyright" a dictionary?  I(c) mean(c), they(c) don't(c) own(c)
> the(c) words(c), do they?

They don't own the words; but they do own the wording of the definitions.
It requires quite a bit of research to ensure that you have the proper
pronunciations, etymology, and definitions.  There is also a lot of work
involved in compiling, typesetting, and proofreading.  By protecting the
details of the result, the copyright protects the effort of the compilers.

>      At the very least, it would seem that Webster's would be hard-
> pressed to prove that somebody "stole" their word list.

Not at all.  Different dictionaries have different lists of words.  They
tend to intersect quite a bit; but there are sufficient differences to be
detectable.  This should be particularly apparent in the choice of which
obsolete or rarely used words and meanings are included.  (Map makers tag
their maps with intentional small mistakes to detect just this sort of
copyright infringement.)

-Pat