Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 23:42:49 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS in -current is _BUSTED_

Subject really says it all, however some more details would probably be
helpful 8)

In all cases, I'm using 2.1-STABLE systems of a month or so ago as NFS
servers.

Clients are all either the latest SNAP or more recent -current.

Not _all_ clients fail.  Of the tested systems, all the Pentiums work, and
the 486 and 386 clients fail.  Failure symptoms are a total hang of all
operations referencing a mounted filesystem.

Not _all_ operations cause an immediate failure.  On the failing systems,
these operations don't often cause failure :

- Login-style references to home directories.
- 'make install' (not compiling) of a kernel.

These do :

- 'gcc -o foo foo.c'
- 'make install' of a port.

On the nonfailing systems, I have compiled a large number of ports,
performed logins, written  hundreds of megabytes of raw data, etc.  I
believe I _may_ have seen one or two hangs on such a system, however this
was while working on the 'doscmd' emulator, so it may have been unrelated.

Naturally, if anyone has any suggested fixes, I'm more than happy to try
them out 8)  (or even more questions about what happens...)