Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 12:22:23 -0800
From:      schluntz@timberwolf.workofstone.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD 3.4, SCO Emulation and Alexandria Backup System

I'm having a problem I'm hoping people can help me out with.  We have a fair number of Linux systems as servers here in my office, I am looking at replacing most of them with FreeBSD boxes (noticibly faster NFS preformance and the like, besides I just like FBSD better ;)

The problem I am having is that I can't put any server online that can't be backed up from our IRIX system running Alexandria.

There are Linux and SCO clients for Alexandria but no FreeBSD (I have already written them about this, but it took them a year after they promiced to finally deliver the linux verion).

I have not tried to work with the linux version yet as FreeBSD uses the /compat tree for the Linux tree whereas I believe the SCO emulation works with the 'real' system tree.

Problem is when I try to run the X client I get:

ttyp0 cricket-root> ./xalex
libsocket: socket: /dev/socksys: No such file or directory
libsocket: socket: /dev/socksys: No such file or directory
Error: Can't open display: rionna:0.0

This is both with a 4.2 and a 5.0 SCO binary.  Any suggestions/ideas as to what is wrong?

-Sean

--------
Sean J. Schluntz                                schluntz@workofstone.com