Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:45:30 +0100
From:      KAISER Laszlo <titanic@ovinet.hu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSL_connect fails

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 06:41:43PM +0100, KAISER Laszlo wrote:
> I'm doing a port of a little OpenSSL program to FreeBSD from linux, but the
> code which works fine on linux fails on FreeBSD at SSL_connect().
> This function allways returns with -1 and SSL_errno is 1.

To answer myself;

The problem was trivial. OpenSSL couldn't seed random generator for correct
entropy without /dev/urandom or without a specified file, therefore i had to
create a temporary file which consists of enough random numbers (1024). This
was problem on solaris port, too, but on BSD it caused by chroot
environment. OpenSSL got the filename consists of entropy from an
environment value named RANDFILE.

Some notice:
I think an API hasn't consists of exit() calls and if i send a NULL
pointer to an API call, it couldn't SEGFAULT. OpenSSL does. I think it is
not a feature, or if it is, i'like to turn off. :/

TiTaNiC