Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 04:27:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        bara_zani@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange problem connecting to monster.com maybe NAT ?

In article <028a01c19816$ca49ef30$6d00a8c0_motil@ns.sol.net>,
	bara_zani@yahoo.com writes:
> Hi  2 All ,
> I'm expirienecing a very strange problem .
> I'm having problems connecting to my.monster.com from my internal machines
> in the lan through a freebsd gateway .
> if i try and connect from the freebsd gateway i can , quote:
> "[root@ns:root>>telnet my.monster.com 80
> Trying 63.112.169.4...
> Connected to my.monster.com.
> Escape character is '^]'."
>
> if i try it from the lan i get :
> nothing .....
>
> nslookup resolves properly and i get the same ip internally and on the
> gateway
> traceroute from the lan and gateway have the same routes ( accept for the
> gaetway beig first hop for lan machine )
> i thaught this was a cleint issue but even simple telent will not connect .
>
> any ideas ?
> I'm not running any firewall / special config only ppp to earthlink dsl and
> ppp nat

Hmm. Just yesterday, I had HTTP "difficulties" with monster.com, using
mozilla-0.9.7. I had to break submits, and re-submit, due to stalled
connections.

Like you, nslookup and traceroute showed nothing unusual. I am running
a FreeBSD firewall between my network and a DSL connection to my ISP,
but it's been stable and un-problematic for months.

All my other 'net activities were fine.

I figured it was the newest mozilla, but p'raps not, eh?

> thanks
> baraZani

Sorry I can't offer more,
Dave