Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 23:15:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java Compiler Using Netscape - Port

On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Ok, committed.  I took out the NO_PACKAGE though, as the license
> exlicitly permits redistribution as far as I can tell.
[...]
> statement appear on all copies.  Licensee agrees that the copyright
> notice and this statement will appear on all copies of the software,
> packaging, and documentation or portions thereof.

The reason I had NO_PACKAGE in there was because "all copies of the
software, packaging, and documentation" must contain this COPYRIGHT
notice.  The terms were a little unclear, so I thought I'd be cautious.

> By the way, the class library seems to be the same as what the kaffe
> port uses, although they hold it as a single .zip file
> (/usr/local/share/kaffe/classes.zip).

It is the same class library, but netscape requires it to be uncompressed.

> This thing is pretty large, can you see if you guys can somehow share
> this?  Tim Wilkinson <tim@sarc.city.ac.uk> is the author of kaffe,
> Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org> and Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
> are our liaisons.

I don't think so, netscape requires the library to be uncompressed, and
kaffe uses the .zip-- Also we both install /usr/local/bin/javac which
would seem to make the two packages mutually exclusive.  The only reason I
made this port is that kaffe isn't quite as stable as Netscape's Java yet.

Sujal