Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:14:06 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Funked up filesystem

In the last episode (Dec 18), Shawn Ramsey said:
> We have an external SCSI box of disks, connected to a PCI RAID
> adapter...  the cable connecting to the server was accidently
> disconnected, which caused the server to crash. (which probably
> shouldn't have happened either being on a RAID controller) But after
> rebooting, one of the file systems in that box was real screwed up,
> with the root directory consisting of lost+found, with directories
> underneath being named something like
>
> #0142869        #0365086        #0611086
>
> This is the first time I've ever seen a non bad hardware related file
> system problem... Should doing what I did have caused this? The SCSI
> box is connected to a Mylex ExtremeRaid 1100, if it matters...

From the point of view of the server, it was bad hardware.  The drives
suddenly disppeared :)  The problem was probably compounded by the fact
that the OS itself didn't lose the drives; the raid controller did, so
any cached data on the controller was lost.  That's probably why you
ended up with messed up directories.  I've done the same thing to an
Adaptec ASR 3200 connected to external SCSI disks.

Internal RAID cards can handle a single disk failure easy enough, but
when they all disappear at once I don't think they can recover.

Moral:  Screw your scsi cables down tight.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com