Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:57:08 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing and Partitioning a new HD

>  Hi,
>
>  I am about to add a second hard drive to my FreeBSD machine... and I was
>  hoping someone could give me some basic command instructions on what all I
>  need to do in order to have the drive be recognized and partitioned...

There is a very nice article at FreeBSD.org about this.  It's title is
"Formatting Media For Use With FreeBSD".  It's description in the list
of the articles is "How to slice, partition, and format fixed and
removable media on FreeBSD".  Find this article at:

[ http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/index.html ]

There are also quite a few other useful articles, tutorials, and books
available at www.FreeBSD.org.  Find out about them at:

[ http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html ]

>  I will need to edit the new info into /etc/fstab in order to have this
>  drive loaded from boot correct?

Yes, please have a look at the manual page of fstab(5) with:

	% man 5 fstab

>  During my original installation, I only specified 1 hd driver, ... is there
>  anything special I need to do in order to be able to add another one in?
>  (like kernel re-config etc?)

Well, that depends.  What disks does your system have?  What disk are
you going to add?  If it has IDE disks and you are adding another IDE
disk, you usually have to set up the jumpers of the disks properly,
indicating which is master and which is slave, and that's pretty much
it.  Then your BIOS and FreeBSD should be able to recognize the disk.

-giorgos