Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2009 23:07:52 GMT
From:      Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/130957: /sys/dev/pci/pci.c revision 181771 breaks networking and the power button

>Number:         130957
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       /sys/dev/pci/pci.c revision 181771 breaks networking and the power button
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
After upgrading from 7.0 RELEASE to 7.1 RELEASE on my Geode-equipped Flepo Alpha (a disk- and screenless box running off an USB pen drive) I found networking to be not completely, but seriously broken. See http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-embedded/2009-January/000680.html

Not mentioned in this Email, the power button broke as well, flooding error messages to the console instead of shutting down.

After the long journey of bisecting 10,000 kernel revisions, I found revision 181771, and only the change in file /sys/dev/pci/pci.c to be the culprit:

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/stable/7/sys/dev/pci/pci.c?r1=176218&r2=181771
>How-To-Repeat:
Build a stable/7 kernel of revision 181771 or later and attempt to boot the machine. It'll start to boot, but won't reach the console login prompt because DHCP fails. Setting up networking manually makes things better, but still it's impossible to ssh in. All this works fine with kernel r181770 or before.
>Fix:
The obvious one: don't upgrade beyond r181770.

I'll try to reverse-apply this patch on stable and look how things work.